Social media and search engine giants love to update their processes, programs and algorithms. For business owners, digital strategists and freelancers alike, these changes can be inconvenient or uncertain. Facebook, owned by Meta, is a prominent example.
In this blog, we will explain the Facebook algorithm and offer some tips for content creation. So let’s get started!
But first… What is the Facebook algorithm?
The Facebook algorithm is a formula that determines which posts users see when scrolling through their newsfeed. Many different variables compose the algorithm, which is what makes it frustrating for any marketer to navigate.
The algorithm has evolved over time. In 2009, the algorithm bumped posts with the greatest number of Likes to the top of the newsfeed. In 2017, Facebook weighed a post’s value and prominence by the number of different Reactions to it (Like, Heart, Anger, etc.). In 2019, Facebook introduced the “Why Am I Seeing This Post?” feature. In more recent years, Facebook has revealed details about the algorithm but has yet to release the big picture.
So how does the algorithm work now?
According to Hootsuite, Facebook now prioritizes content by three different variables. These elements are: who posted the content, the type of content and interactions with the posts. Use these characteristics to begin creating some ideal content for your brand!
What are some tips for creating engaging content?
Manipulating the Facebook algorithm is one of the worst things you could do for your brand; instead, you should work with the algorithm. Here are just a few tips that you can utilize to make the algorithm your friend, not a foe.
- Consider the type of content that your audience wants to see. Authenticity is king. Too many sales-oriented posts can deter users from interacting with your page.
- Engage with your audience. Interact with your audience by responding to and ‘liking’ comments. Prove that there is a person (or a whole team) behind the screen!
- Encourage your audience to engage with each other. Create content that prompts conversations (not comment wars).
- Explore the Stories feature. Facebook Stories appear separately from the main feed. As its own feature, Stories is an alternative way to meet audiences and promote content. If your business is on Instagram, which is also owned by Meta, then check out the Reels tab!
- Expand your reach. How often do your family, friends, employees and colleagues share your content? Encourage them to share and interact with your content, so that it can reach new audiences!
It is unlikely that we will ever know the full extent of Facebook’s algorithm model. However, there are ways to curate content to your and your brand’s advantage. Facebook likes content that is authentic, engaging and encourages conversations. How will you use these tips when planning out your social media strategy?
Southern View Media is a digital marketing agency located on the Gulf Coast. We help clients across the United States with their social media, digital marketing, content creation, media buying and more. Visit www.southernviewmedia.com today to learn about what we do and why we do it.